[Kbabel] Full Gettext support in KBabel

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Sun Oct 23 17:31:58 CEST 2005

> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> I think that I have found out what I have not liked to the interface
> patch:

Actually, I wouldn't even regard that one as a serious patch, just a very
temporary makeshift in case proper GUI element support is not viable in
the short term (next week). Nevertheless...

> - There is a user-visible message, so it should be translated.

It was in msgid, so I somehow went with the flow :) But having it
translated is indeed advantageous, as the chance for confusion (someone
actually translating it) will be smaller.

> - You are using "not" "and" and "or". They are not used in KDE. (Not
> sure why, probably because it is to complex to support them for all
> compilers.)
> So please use ! instead of "not", && instead of "and" and || instead
> of "or".

Check. Habit, forgot to browse the code for that.

> Also for the member function void setText(QStringList texts, bool
> hasctxt = false) would it not be easier to have a QString as second
> parameter to avoid to mess with the plural forms.

Right, makes a lot less changes. That's what happens when I try several
variants and drop onto one, dragging the direction of thinking from the
others :)

> I have noticed that with the current KDE context, the context is in
> front of the translated text. I am wondering if we should not prefer a
> solution where the Gettext context would be shown first too. (However
> I do not know exactly how.)

That was my first idea as well, but then we would need another separator
(perhaps even some text in it again). Also, I don't know how is the diff
highlighting working, but if it has something to do with positions in
msgid, appending context to the end shouldn't hurt it.

> Also there are a few little details of the code:
> - please use ++var instead of var++ (as var++ creates a new object and
> is therefore slower).

Yep, trying to get into that habit.

Updated interface patch attached.

--