[Kbabel] Full Gettext support in KBabel

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Thu Oct 20 13:24:25 CEST 2005

Hi,

What would it take for KBabel to fully support Gettext PO features? Since
few days ago, Gettext has full support for what we need in KDE: formal
contexts (new msgctxt field) and xgettext extractor updated accordingly
(will also work for overloaded ordinary, context and plural calls). So I
think there is no reason to fiddle with custom stuff for KDE 4, providing
that all tools are updated to handle standard Gettext POs, KBabel being
primary.

I've browsed a bit through KBabel's Gettext import/export code, and
couldn't find anything explicitly left to be done, but I've been said that
it doesn't function perfectly. So, is it just buggy, or something else? I
could devote some time to get these internals done, but not the required
GUI updates (needed for context), as GUI stuff is out of my comprehension
currently.

Is there a reason not to go for Gettext's own libgettextpo for
import/export of PO files?

On a side note, regarding GUI, I am also interested why are the message
storage specifics left in it? Like escaped characters, non-newline line
breaks, comments, plurals. It seems to me that it would be better if
KBabel had a consistent user-side representation, so that it doesn't
matter what the underlying translation file format is. It should only
decide which of representation features to use, depending what the loaded
format supports.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)