[Kbabel] Why let the user select the date format of a PO file?

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Mon Oct 3 16:07:31 CEST 2005

I have found out that the user can change the date format used in a PO file
for the PO-Revision-Date entry.

I wonder why such a feature would be useful. Even if msgfmt does not care
while checking, it still means to create a variant of the PO file format,
where the date is not machine-readable anymore.

So I would prefer to remove this feature, already for KDE 3.5.

If the goal is to have a nice date in the catalog manager view, it would be
better to process the date parsed from the PO files. That woul allow
additional features (in middle-term to long-term, so for KDE4):
- intelligent dates ("today", "yesterday") like what exists in KMail
- set a local date format (e.g. dd.mm.yyyy hh:mm)
- unify the shown dates in one time zone (perhaps useful for world languages,
like English, French and Spanish, where the translators could be from many
time zones).
- show non-Gregorian dates. (A translator would feel perhaps more easy if he
can use a date system that he commonly use in his daily life.)

Have a nice day!