[Kbabel] my previous post

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Fri Nov 25 12:31:57 CET 2005

On Friday 25 November 2005 10:08, Yury Tarasievich wrote:
> --- Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg at snafu.de> wrote:
>
> > > Well, what I feel should be done here is exporting
> >
> > of
> >
> > > complete DB to smth. like plaintext/csv, then
> > > restoring to scratch TM DB. After all, it came to

> > That is what db_dumb and db_load are for, as far as
> > I understand. (Except that
> > the dumb format is not simple plain text or csv.
>
> Right, and that's what I'm missing in kbabel compound
> more and more -- the ability to deal with TM contents
> directly.

Yes, I have just had the idea of creating a Python script to dump the
databases in an useful format. (However that would probably not work if the
database is in an inconsistent state.)

Python has it has Berkeley support as far as I have understood and also such a
script can be stand alone, so that an old version should be able to run, even
if KDE was updated, as it is the case here.

However as many ideas, the problem is to find time to realize them. But
perhaps somebody else is interested in creating such a program.

As for KBabel itself, sure, improving KBabel for interchangeable formats is
probably a very good idea, but again it is a problem of who will do what.
(KBabel for KDE4 has already a long list of things to do, at least I find so
for the handful of developers that we are.)

> -regards

Have a nice day!

(...)