[Kbabel] Remote TM patent (fwd)

Gudmund Areskoug fta at algonet.se
Thu Jul 31 18:19:40 CEST 2003

Hi,

Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:

> Dňa Št 31. Júl 2003 12:54 Gudmund Areskoug napísal:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
>>
>>>Some bad news....
>>
>>took a quick peek at it, I hope someone more knowledgeable contests
>>the claims. Looks like they shouldn't be able to get the patent
>>through - even with the IMNSHO sick software patent laws applied
>>"over there" - due to prior art.
>

> Yes, the patent idea is pretty trivial, but I don't know any prior art. So I'd
> like not to introduce remote TM into KBabel for some now (I know it's
> requested feature) :-(

I'd like to read up a bit more on it (sometime next week, I
hope...), but I'm pretty sure that all or most of the things
mentioned have been possible to do, and have been used to a larger
or lesser extent for years with the proprietary professional tool
DejaVu from Atril. I've already notified them.

I never got around to trying it, but haven't some KDE translation
teams (and/or Gnome and TP teams) been using Kdict etc. in much the
same manner?

BR,
Gudmund