[Kbabel] Directory and file commands RFC

Stanislav Visnovsky visnovsky@nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:45:10 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Dwayne Bailey wrote:

> I've created a number of new file and directory commands.  Just a few
> things I wanted to ask on the list.
>
> 1) I'm using kdialog to ask the users for certain input.  Anyone see a
> problem with this?  Dependency issues, etc.  Should I test for kdialog
> band not assume its there.

You can show an error message on stderr, it should get to the output
window.

I'm not sure if KDialog is already present in kdebase.

> 2) They are bash scripts not one line commands.  Should I leave them as
> shell scripts and install them as part of kbabel install or should I
> place the script in settings.cpp

IMHO we need a dynamic lookup for available commands. The old way does not
seem to be enough, probably using .desktop files.

I would add another subdir in catalogmanager sources and put the scripts
there. They should be installed somewhere in $KDEDIR/share/apps/kbabel.

> 3) Are there any issues with hacking and scripts that I should be aware of?

I'm not aware of any.

> 4) One script opens the PO files in a text editor.  Currently its just
> "kate @POFILE@" how would I work it so that the users chosen editor is used?

IMHO you can't do it more reasonably ATM.

> The scripts do the following:
>
> 1) Create a compendium file (all messages cat together into one file)
> 2) Create an inverse compendium (msgid "Your language" msgstr
> "English").  Usefull for checking word choice eg using the same word for
> Delete and Cancel.
> 3) Split a PO file into 3 files untranslated, transalated and fuzzy.
> Usefull for spreading work or focusing only on fuzzies
> 4) Unsplit a file
> 5) Open PO file in kate
> 6) Create tarball of PO files
> 7) Take a compendium and use it to update a single file or a package.
> The compendium entries overide entries in the PO.  Helpfull for
> performing global corrections and consitency updates.  If all entries in
> the compendium are transalted then all POs updated should end up 100%
> translated.

BTW, I have done a patch to configure translation dictionary for rough
translation temporarily. I'll commit it soon.

Stanislav