[Kalzium] Fwd: BODR relicensing to CCZero

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Fri Jan 27 06:58:50 UTC 2012

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: BODR relicensing to CCZero
Datum: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:21:28 +0100
Von: Egon Willighagen <egon.willighagen at gmail.com>
An: BlueObelisk-Discuss <Blueobelisk-discuss at lists.sourceforge.net>

Hi all,

since we just had a patch for BODR data, this may be the best moment
to discuss the future of BODR... there are still several projects
using it, though it may that Kalzium stopped using it (not entirely
sure)...

There are a few patches / bug reports, which I will want to apply, and
I also want to move away from XML towards RDF, and to write a few
tools to create easier to parse files, which previously has been done
by software using the data. Making it RDF means it can be more easily
shared in the semantic web, and this automatically be easily
accessible by websites, etc, etc.

However, I also like to see the data relicensed to CCZero, which is
pretty much in line with the MIT license, but CCZero is better suited
for data. Effectively, we're waiving all rights, allowing anyone to do
with the BODR data they like. This is what the MIT license also
allows, but still is a license. Adoption of the CCZero license is
perfectly in line with the ODOSOS ideas of the Blue Obelisk.

I will forward this message to everyone who contributed data to the
BODR data (this list of AUTHORS can be found in the source code
repository) to ask permission to make this change of 'license' to
CCZero (which technically is a waiver, not a license). I will
summarize here.

Somehow, I feel I have asked for this before, but I could not find any
reference of it in my email archives.

Egon