[Kalzium] [BlueObelisk-discuss] BODR relicensing to CCZero

Etienne Rebetez etienne.rebetez at oberwallis.ch
Mon Feb 6 10:35:25 UTC 2012

Am Donnerstag 26 Januar 2012, 21:21:28 schrieb Egon Willighagen:
> Hi all,
Hi

> since we just had a patch for BODR data, this may be the best moment
> to discuss the future of BODR... there are still several projects
> using it, though it may that Kalzium stopped using it (not entirely
> sure)...
Kalzium is still using it. Last year I pushed a few patches to upstream and
they have been applyed. The only thing that is not yet in bodr are the
oxidation states I added last summer.
(Kalzium only uses the elements.xml, isotopes.xml and spectra.xml files)

> There are a few patches / bug reports, which I will want to apply, and
> I also want to move away from XML towards RDF, and to write a few
> tools to create easier to parse files, which previously has been done
> by software using the data. Making it RDF means it can be more easily
> shared in the semantic web, and this automatically be easily
> accessible by websites, etc, etc
Thats cool. But it may take a while until Kalzim has changed the parsing code.

> However, I also like to see the data relicensed to CCZero, which is
> pretty much in line with the MIT license, but CCZero is better suited
> for data. Effectively, we're waiving all rights, allowing anyone to do
> with the BODR data they like. This is what the MIT license also
> allows, but still is a license. Adoption of the CCZero license is
> perfectly in line with the ODOSOS ideas of the Blue Obelisk.
>
> I will forward this message to everyone who contributed data to the
> BODR data (this list of AUTHORS can be found in the source code
> repository) to ask permission to make this change of 'license' to
> CCZero (which technically is a waiver, not a license). I will
> summarize here.
>
> Somehow, I feel I have asked for this before, but I could not find any
> reference of it in my email archives.
>
> Egon

Regards
Etienne