[Kalzium] Porting kalzium to external Avogadro

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus at cryos.org
Sat May 1 18:12:32 CEST 2010

On Saturday 17 April 2010 17:32:45 Pino Toscano wrote:
> Alle sabato 17 aprile 2010, Marcus D. Hanwell ha scritto:
> > Avogadro searches for its plugins relative to the binary, which means
> >
> >  that the whole thing can be relocated. In the case of Kalzium this
> >  breaks down though, as it may not be installed in the same relative
> >  position as the binary. If both kalziuma and avogadro were in
> >  /usr/local/bin, then the plugins would be found correctly for
> >  example.
>
> I see.
> Attached there is a try in solving this issue, manually forcing the
> avogadro plugin directory by setting the AVOGADRO_PLUGINS evvar if not
> set. Not pretty, but I didn't find a way to make the PluginManager read
> also a new directory with plugins (loadFactories() looks doing
> nothing?).
> Would this approach (ie making kalzium set the avogadro plugin directory
> instead of letting avogadro sort it out) be acceptable?

Yes, I was thinking of doing the same thing for now. Please feel free to apply
your patch when you have chance.

> > The crash may well be due to some of the logic around the Python
> >
> >  threading code. I will look into this, as it never seemed robust
> >  enough to me. I often build and test with Python disabled, but will
> >  be certain to test things out with Python enabled too. The Python
> >  threading was added later to facilitate multithreaded Python code (I
> >  think - not certain on that as it was a while back).
>
> Nice, thanks!

I have tagged a new release, but cannot reproduce the crash here. So this may
still be an issue, but several other bugs have been fixed. I can always make a
1.0.2 release if we find the cause of the crash.

Thanks,

Marcus