[Kalzium] GSoC project.

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Sun Mar 29 13:07:54 CEST 2009

Am Sunday 29 March 2009 00:19:20 schrieb Apekshit Sharma:
> 3)*(major)*I would also like to add a feature which i'd like to call
> “compound finder”, and will do the fllowing:
>
> once clicking on this feature ,the user when clicks on an element ,it will
> show all the compounds of that element .

All compounds? That would mean clicking on Carbon will show you a billion
carbonic compounds (ethanol, methane, butane, dodecane, dedecanol, ...)? That
is impossible. You will need a database for that. But hey, that database
exists :-)

http://chem-file.sourceforge.net/data/index_en.html

Look for example at

http://chem-file.sourceforge.net/data/alkanes/2_3-dimethylbutane_en.html

That could indeed result in some kind of frontend for chem-file. I am CC'ing
Jerome, the author of that database. Perhaps he has some comments on this.

Jerome?

> On subsquint selection of
> elements,it will keep on filtering compounds common to all selected
> elements before and the new one.Also i will provide additional filters like
> , setting min or/and max no. of atoms of each element.in the
> compound,giving max or/and min molecular mass, or like comp. should belong
> to a certain family (like alcohols,aldehydes,proteins,etc) .etc
>
> It will be a lot useful as it will provide functionality of finding
> compounds by filters.

Yes, I very much agree with this. This could even mean improving the
Strigi-Chemical project from 2007!

http://api.kde.org/playground-api/utils-apidocs/strigi-chemical/html/index.html

For comments on Strigi chemical I am CC'ing Egon Willighagen. He knows a lot
about Strigi and chemistry :-)

Egon?

Carsten

--