[Kalzium] kalzium icon proposal

Benoît Jacob jacob at math.jussieu.fr
Mon May 28 08:20:47 CEST 2007

Hi Noémie,

first of all: are you subscribed to the list kalzium at kde.org ? If yes, we
don't need anymore to add you in CC. Likewise, you don't need to add us in CC
(but it's not a problem either if we're in CC).

> here: http://bluestorm.info/noemie/carbone5.svg is C (I increased the
> contrast)

I like it very much. I found an image that you might find useful:
http://www.hambling-trebble.co.uk/i/buying/buying_diamond_shape.gif
this shows how real diamonds are cut. And this image shows the colors on such
a diamond:
http://www.diamondvues.com/archives/davinci diamond-1.gif
But your diamond is already very nice.

> here: http://bluestorm.info/noemie/mercure3.svg is Hg (I changed the
> liquid's colour, and I got the thermometer bigger)

Something just occurred to me: your thermometer is a medical thermometer (as
seen on its extremity). These mercury-based medical thermometers are
disappearing for security reasons (mercury is a poison) and already today's
children probably don't know them anymore. So perhaps we should adapt to
that. Just replace this extremity by a sphere-shaped reservoid, and extend
the white background (where the numbers are drawn) to support this reservoir.

Another remark is that inside the glass tube, the darker gray suggests mercury
and the lighter gray suggests air, so I suggest that you swap these two
grays.

Another remark is that the mercury-air limit should not be horizontal. Mercury
is viscous, and the glass tube is narrow, so the mercury-emptiness should be
perpendicular to the tube regardless of the direction.

Oh and another remark is that mercury freezes as -38°C so there's no need to
go down to -60°C ;)

Cheers,
Benoit