[Kalzium] Kalzium molecule viewer

Benoît Jacob jacob at math.jussieu.fr
Sat May 26 15:43:03 CEST 2007

On Saturday 26 May 2007 15:33:57 Alexandr Goncearenco wrote:
> On Saturday 26 May 2007, Benoît Jacob wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 May 2007 14:04:25 Alexandr Goncearenco wrote:
> > > Can Kalzium Moleculeviewer be used as a KPart?
> >
> > It already is a KPart, and Carsten just told me today that it even
> > integrates in Konqueror.
>
> Oh thanks, that's a very good news!

Actually, if you are interested in globally useful KParts, there's another
project, KryoMol, that focuses more on the KParts aspect. Anyway 99% of the
code is shared, as these KParts are just thin wrappers around libavogadro.

> in GLWidget::initializeGL():
> glEnable( GL_LIGHTING );

uh oh, indeed, that's rather unavoidable!

> I will try Mesa 6.5.3-1 from debian experimental, which is there since
> May'21. And an updated 2.6.21 kernel. I'll report success here, if you
> wish.

yes, I'm always interested.

> Can I enable software rendering for Avagadro somehow, while leaving the
> whole system intact?
> (I just wish to stick to debian unstable builds of main libs as much as
> possible).

You can link Kalzium (more specifically libavogadro-kalzium) against the
software-only version of Mesa; in the ubuntu repositories, that's called
libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev. However, installing that package might uninstall your
current mesa package. I don't know, I'm no debian expern.

On the other hand, if what matters to you is to avoid replacing libaries, you
can simply edit your xorg.conf and remove the line
	Load	"dri"
but that'll disable all hardware acceleration even in non-opengl apps.

Cheers,
Benoit