[Kalzium] Kalzium atom labels

Benoît Jacob jacob at math.jussieu.fr
Mon May 21 20:04:53 CEST 2007

On Monday 21 May 2007 18:12:15 Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have updated the avogadro label engine to be configurable using the
> avogadro system. I chatted with Donald briefly on IRC and he was saying we
> could add that widget to the kalzium display. I got halfway through doing
> that before I realised it would break the gridlayout and stopped myself.

I've tried the new avogadro stuff, it's very good.

In kalzium we had the "no labels" entry in the combobox. Would that be
possible to have in libavogadro? Honest question, I understand that it may
feel redundant in libavogadro as avogadro uses a separate checkbox to
enable/disable the labelengine.

Maybe that sort of issue underlines that it'd be good if libavogadro offered
some freedom to the app developer, i.e. libavogadro provides slots to which
the app developer can connect the signals of whatever gui elements he likes.

I just understood that this connecting could be done by the glwidget. Indeed,
the glwidget knows about both the engine (which it loaded) and the dialog
(its parent widget). So it should be able to connect each other. This could
be done by subclassing Avogadro::GLWidget, as is currently done by Kalzium.

Cheers,
Benoit