[Kalzium] Just to store for copyright reasons

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Tue May 2 15:52:40 CEST 2006

Hi

I am cleaning my harddisk and want this mail to be in the archive for
copyright reasons in case we will use the Stewart-table.

Carsten

Subject: RE: Implementation request
Date: Donnerstag, 21. Juli 2005 19:54
From: "Philip Stewart" <philip.stewart at plant-sciences.oxford.ac.uk>
To: "'Carsten Niehaus'" <cniehaus at gmx.de>

Dear Carsten:  I like your Kalzium application.  My design is copyrighted,
but I would be happy you to use it, provided it is not a high resolution
version that people could usefully download (I don't mind them downloading
it in a form that does not replace my poster).  I have a mousemat version
for example that I could let you have.

The placing of the elements was carefully calculated so that the distance
between neighbouring elements would increase or decrease at the same rate as
the circumference of the coils.  However, It was done by hand, and so it
retains a certain irregularity.  That was deliberate, becaue I wanted it to
look like a work of art and not something mechanical.  I curved the 'spokes'
that link the members of the groups partly for the practical reason that I
had to make more space for the lanthanides and transition elements, but made
harmonious by obeying the 'pull' of a notional 'great attractor' off to the
top right.  I wanted it to be both art and science, as I don't see a
fundamental divide between the two.

As regards the text, as long as you acknlwledge my authorship I see no
problem.  All good wishes, Philip