[Kalzium] Fwd: OpenGL availability

Benoit Jacob jacob at math.jussieu.fr
Mon Jun 12 16:20:03 CEST 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> Am Montag 12 Juni 2006 15:39 schrieb Benoit Jacob:
> > Yes, it's a good idea to give the ability to #if-out the OpenGL-related
> > stuff. But in case Kalzium has been compiled with GL support, we still
> > need to check for GL availability at runtime.
>
> Perhaps I am a bit slow but why?
>
> If a distributor enables opengl on compiletime he has to provide it as runtime
> as well, otherwise the package would be broken.
>
> Or am I missing the obvious?

The administrator of the server might or might not enable GLX (I think
it's just a matter of putting Load "glx" in the X server config file).

GLX is the "glue layer" between X and GL. If it's not enabled, then OpenGL
is unavailable, even if the distro includes the libraries. And
enabling/disabling GLX is really the kind of tweaking that the
administrator might decide to do, independently of the distribution's
default setting.

Cheers
Benoit