[Kalzium] Qt-4-based Molecular Editor

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Sat Aug 19 20:14:12 CEST 2006

Am Samstag, den 19.08.2006, 12:07 -0500 schrieb Donald Ephraim Curtis:
> > > I've been spending more time hacking on "Avogadro," my project for
> > > standalone molecular viewer/editor based on Qt-4.2 and Open
> Babel
> > > 2.1. Thanks to the handy Qt tutorials, it's going fairly well.
> >
> > I suggest that we merge as much code as possible as fast as
> possible. It
> > would be completly stupid to have two codebases, I guess. Where can
> > get your code to comment on it?
>
> I'm all about this but there is one thing; we want to make Avogadro
> cross-platform QT-only and not tied to KDE.

Yes, that makes sense to me. But in case I didn't say so yet: The
Kalzium-3D-stuff is pure Qt. Not a single KDE-class is used. We just
start it from a KDE-application (Kalzium), thats it. In other words: I
minimum-Qt-app (just a QApplication) which starts our viewer works. No
KDE involved :)

To quote Benoît:

> (btw: Eigen is Qt-only, you could use it)

Eigen is ANSI-c++ which means that it can be used in OpenBabel. No
Q-classes involved.

Btw: We could move this to kalzium at kde.org (in CC) so that it is
archived and we don't need to CC like mad :-). OpenBabel-list is also
fine for me, of course.

Carsten