[Kalzium] [Blue-obelisk] Merging my data-file with your repository

Geoff Hutchison grh25 at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 13 16:50:48 CEST 2005

>>> Kalzium has a pretty big XML-based data file. It has almost 5000
>>> lines of
>>> xml. This means about 4500 data-entities. You can see the file
>>> here [3].
>>> This file is good, I really took care that the data is correct.
>>> It has
>>> far more data than you have [4].
>>
>> Can you list the sources that you did use for which pieces of
>> information?
>> For several fields, there is no exact definition of what the
>> content really
>> is... e.g. de vanderwaals radius.
>
> Some, yes. Not all as I did several datafield four years ago. But I
> can assure
> you that I only used good sources (famous textbooks, university-
> data and so
> on). If you need this information I will try to found out.

One of the reasons we're trying to establish a shared repository is
to know the origins of the data we use and to try to come up with
more "standard" data across multiple sources, programs, etc.

When I was preparing the isotopes.xml and elements.xml data, I
particularly tried to find the most accurate and original sources for
data. I'm sure you've also taken care that the data is correct, but
it helps to know the original sources in case someone else has
conflicting data.

> I will send a list of my types of data in about 30 minutes. I need
> to do some
> other stuff first.

I think that's OK.. :-)

One question -- can your data be in multiple XML files? (Or perhaps
for Kalzium, you can just add the files together manually?) I think
it's a bit easier to manage the repository when the isotope and
elements data are separated.

-Geoff