[Kalzium] Fwd: Kalzium' s documentation

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Fri Oct 21 08:07:56 CEST 2005

Subject: Kalzium' s documentation
Date: Thursday 20 October 2005 18:30
From: Kush Singh <be_a_sport at rogers.com>
To: cniehaus at kde.org

Hi Carsten,

I like your educational tool Kalzium. But its difficult to understand a
few things in the documentation e.g.

++
the basic/acidic/neutral/amphoteric properties and classification of the
elements

Somehow what we have been taught in school and what is shown here does
not gel or maybe I have forgotten my chemistry.

Aluminium is supposed to be amphoteric but in kalzium is mentioned as
neutral, whereas neutral elements are the noble gases (he,ne, ar, kr,xe
and rn). Maybe Zinc is also amphoteric (am not sure)

basic elements are all the metals specially elements in column 1
acidic elements are all those in column 17
++++
the radioactivity classification

Radon is radioactive, so are Cs, Strontium etc but they are not shown as
such in the classification of "states of matter"

+++

it would be nice to know what is meant by
columns 1 to 18 under IUPAC
the groups 1 to 8
thru some form of short notes (or popup windows) or link to
www.wikipedia.org or something

++++
also if possible a short note on uses of these elements would be great
--specially if these can be grouped under different uses-- eg fuels
(hydrogen, etc) /oxidation (oxygen-ozone etc) /metallurgy (vanadium,
titanium, niobium, fe, etc) /plastics/information tech industry (Si, Ge,
Ga, Indium, Arsenic etc) /superconductivity etc

Please keep up the good work. I really liked the software.
Regards,
kussh