[Kalzium] Spectrum-classes: Move them or not?

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Tue Jul 26 13:29:30 CEST 2005

Hi

The Spectrumclasses are pretty good now. Yesterday, I added a SpectrumEditor.
You can see a picture of it here:

http://www.cip.biologie.uni-osnabrueck.de/niehaus/help5.png

I do not think I will use this class for KDE 3.5 as only the wavelength is
used anyway in the drawing widget. For the future this class needs a
filewriter and reader so that the user can store his data. The purpose of
this class is that for example a teacher can enter the data and the dialog
will create the spectrum according to the data. Then he can simple export as
(for example) png. That is easier than "faking" those spectra in The GIMP.
My prof could have used that when we studied Lithium and Potassium-Spectra.
What is class also needs is a SpectrumView which will be able to load files
and display the spectra with the ability to print the data and so on. But I
am not sure if this is more like a new application...

Other than that I would like to move the Spectrum-class to libkdeedu. But I am
not sure where. KStars could also use them to display the spectrum of a star
but would you do so for KDE 3.5? Is there any interest or not? The last mail
only got one answer...

What about creating a libscience? or libspectrum? I am not sure if it fits in
kdeeduui as for example the class Spectrum only stores data.

So:

-- Move to kdeedu?
-- In which dir?
-- Move after 3.5 is release/branched for porting to Qt4?
-- How to improve the classes?

Carsten