[Kalzium] TODO for KDE 3.5 and post-3.5

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Tue Aug 23 11:53:47 CEST 2005

Hi

This is just a update to get an overview. Comments very welcome!

* Miscellaneous bugs:
  + Make use of the biological symbol.
    CN: I lost the "translation" though, will have to look after it.
    CN: I have deactivated the drawingconde

* correct mass-rounding
    presumably, the arg()-funktion now rounds wrong
    CN: This is a very strange bugs. Some values (long doubles, for example
1.123456) are not correctly displayed... I bet that is because of some
internal Qt-magic...

109035  Kalzium crashes after clicking on Next/Previous in element detail info
dialog
  CN: Well, I cannot reproduce this. Joseph Wenniger think this is a gcc
bug...

109037  svg export please (but only if convient and using QPainter)
  CN: Ingwa is on this, a post 3.5-feature, but a very nice one

109397  Support for Stewart's table
  CN: I have the permission to use Stewarts png-graphic in Kalzium. post
3.5-feature

109081  Temparature setting change is not applied when you are in State of
Matter
  CN: Thanks to Pino this is basically fixed. There is one stupid bug in the
KDoubleSpinbox left...

65134 adding edu stuff to the game and move it to kdeedu
  CN: This bug is filed again KAtomic, not Kalzium. Please read this and tell
me what you think... I think this is somehow cool to have in Kalzium.

=== Future versions ===

* Export to html and csv comes into my mind. Pretty easy I
  guess. Something like that was in Kalzium of KDE 3.1 I
  think.  But my implementation sucked so much I removed it.

* Add KHotNewStuff support (xml) so that a user can define which
  dates are displayed in the timeline (see SOM)
  CN: I do no longer understand this entry... What did this mean?

* Log-scale of the gradient

* Make the glossary also into a dictionary
  CN: I don't understand this point...

* Plotting
  + Add groups of elements, for example "Metals", 4th Period
    transitionmetals and so on. The user can easily select them
    and only plot the selected group
   CN: I think the current plotting sucks pretty much; this feature would make
it *so much* better...
  + More than one group should be plottable at once.
    This would enable the user to compare two or more groups,
    eg. 4th with 5th group
   CN: Same here: I think the current plotting sucks pretty much; this feature
would make it *so much* better...

* Add more than only one mode to Kalzium, eg a mode with simplified
  user interface (less looks, easier menu structure, less information
  in the infodialog) and a full-mode where everything is enabled.

* There should be more data about the elements, for example which
  chemitry-nobel-prize was won in that year (+/- 5 years or so)
  CN: KGetHotNewStuff? This would lower the burden for translators

* Make use of hotnewstuff. In the detailinfodlg there should be
  a weblookup. If the user click on a button Konq will start with
  a page about the element. Of course, the user should be able
  to decide which page.
  For this we could create a simple editor and store it in xml.
  on edu.kde.org we would enable KHNS so that users can share
  their pages. Imaginge for example the different wikipedia-languages

* Add the weblookup also in the glossary
  CN: Wikipedia-Integration... We need to wait until Tobias commits the stuff
to kdelibs

* Besides although for the "common user" is more easy to understand
  the information in "... years", it's more correct and flexible in
  scientific terms to use the scientific notation: ...x10e9 years.

* Add lesson-mode? The idea is that a teacher could create xml-files
  which can somehow be used as lessons. Perhaps something like
  "find out how many element boild at 200 Degree Celsius and above.
  With that information: Why is it so?"

* Add experiental mode: A teacher defines experiments (in xml) where
  fotos and texts are used to represent a experiment/task. Perhaps
  combined with openoffice-files (charts and so on). Like in CheExp.

* Add two comboboxes to the infodialog: That way the user can search
  for an element by name and number. Like in CheExp

* Thinking on people with some disabilities, it would be great if they can
select the elements on the grid by using cursor keys (or just tab key).

* Perhaps there must be a KComboBox in the toolbar where you can select the
different views of the PTE.

* There's no view of the natural occurrence of the elements. Look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_table_(standard) and see the notes
about borders.

* Spectrum-Classes
  + Create an editor. The user enters some wavelength and Kalzium will
    create a graphic from that data.

Carsten