Questions about external assets

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 19:09:06 BST 2023

Hi Sina,

Le mar. 4 avr. 2023 à 19:31, Sina Fesahati(Encrypted Messaging) <
sina.fesahati at protonmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi everyone,
>
> There are some questions about GCompris software/package which I wanted to
> ask and I couldn't find an answer via website or mail archive:
>
> -GCompris is a GNU package or KDE package?

Both :):
* https://www.gnu.org/education/edu-software-gcompris.en.html
* https://apps.kde.org/gcompris/

> -Does this software depends on non-free packages or content(like licensed
> assets)?

All the assets are free. It's either GPL, CC-BY-SA or public domain.

> -Why some of the assets not contained in the software itself?

Because of the size. For example, all the voices can be found at
https://cdn.kde.org/gcompris/data2/.
We package for 3 different OS (depending on the codec for each platform) +
for each locale. Usually, you only want one locale and one platform.
Downloading around 1.5Go for this is too much.

Android also had a limit size to 100Mo at some point so we needed to have a
package below it.

> -Where this external assets downloaded and are there any file to install
> that assets without downloading?

Assets are totally optional. Introduction voices and background music are a
bonus and the complete wordset too (there is a small subset in GCompris
itself so the depending activities still work).
They are downloaded from the cdn ( https://cdn.kde.org/gcompris/data2/) and
installed locally in the "cache" folder. It depends of the OS but for
Linux, it is under ~/.cache/KDE/gcompris-qt.

Sincerely,
> Sina

Cheers,