Re: Replacing the animal photos in the ‘erase’ activities

Timothée Giet animtim at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 19:21:15 GMT 2022

Thanks Karl for sharing those test results.

About the loss of details with webp in the dark parts of the second
image, this is not a big problem, as a rule of thumb in photo/visual
art/digital painting/..., it's less important to have details in the
dark parts as the eye is naturally more attracted by the details in
light areas.

Knowing already the compression power and quality of webp, I'm sure we
can even target a smaller average size similar to current image set, if
we use optimal settings of webp encoding that can reduce file size.
About target-size vs quality options, I agree that we should use quality
more than target-size to get smaller size where possible and a bit
bigger size where really needed.

Timothée