Relicensing of GCompris executable to AGPLv3 licence

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 19:36:44 GMT 2021

Hi,

We realised that, for analog electricity, we added in our source the
engine from edx:
https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/blob/master/common/lib/xmodule/xmodule/js/src/capa/schematic.js
which is licenced under AGPLv3 licence.
Our base code is under GPLv3+ which is compatible with AGPLv3 but it
causes the built program to be released under AGPLv3.

>From https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-compatibility.en.html:
"The ordinary GNU GPL and the GNU AGPL are two different copyleft
licenses, so they are naturally incompatible. We have set up a special
kind of explicit compatibility between them: you can include source
code under the GNU GPL version 3 together with other source code under
the GNU Affero GPL in a single combined program. This is permitted
because both of those licenses explicitly say so, and the effect is
that the GNU AGPL applies to the combined program. However, you can't
simply relicense code from the GNU GPL (with or without “or later”) to
the GNU Affero GPL, or vice versa; neither of these licenses gives
permission for that."

It does not affect much us because the added condition on the AGPL
licence is for remote network interaction (point 13 of
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html) which is not a use-case
for GCompris.

I have updated the source code to reflect that.