GCompris release 1.0 for its 20th anniversary

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 21:41:25 GMT 2020

Hi,

Le jeu. 19 nov. 2020 à 13:43, Bruno Friedmann <bruno at ioda-net.ch> a écrit :

> On jeudi, 19 novembre 2020 11.45:12 h CET Johnny Jazeix wrote:
> >  Hi,
> >
> > To celebrate the 20 years of GCompris, we are pleased to announce the
> > release of version 1.0.
> >
> > It contains the new Activity Settings feature, and some new activities.
> You
> > can read the full announcement on our website with videos showing the
> > additions: https://gcompris.net
> >
> > As usual you can download it from our download page:
> > https://gcompris.net/downloads-en.html
> >
> > Thank you all,
> > Timothée & Johnny
>
> Happy birthday, gcompris !!!
>
> Sorry, I'm so sorry to report that:

No problem at all, thanks for spotting these issues.

While packaging it for openSUSE, I found some strange things about licenses.

> Gcompris is GPL v3+
>
> But several components in the tarball are licenced differently
> /activities/checkers/LICENSE is Mozilla Public Licence
>
> and activities/memory-sound/resource/Licence.txt is Free Art License
> (which is less prone to trouble)
>
> So technically speaking Gcompris sources are now multiples licences.
> Is it what you was expecting ? Legal on distribution will poke that and
> will
> ask same question.

This is a good question. I'm not 100% on these subjects but I thought both
licences were compatible:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/MPL/2.0/combining-mpl-and-gpl/?
Can we ask the author of the library if he can release the library under
GPLv3 and it would be good?

Johnny