Pre string freeze release for GCompris

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 18:10:53 GMT 2018

Hi,

we plan to release a new version of GCompris by the end of the year (
https://phabricator.kde.org/T9976 for the content).

* We would like to do a pre-string freeze period (until end of November):
thanks to the translators (Horia, Jan, Yuri... to name some but everyone of
course) we get several comments about improving the strings. Unfortunately,
it happens once the string freeze is set so it's not the best as some
translators already translated GCompris and moved on.
So the aim to introduce a pre-string freeze period is to check and improve
the strings.
The software won't have new features/strings added but all the
corrections/improvements are welcome.

* string freeze (until Dec 17th): we create a new stable branch once the
pre-string period is done (and the errors fixed).

* release once it works fine.

Current apk link:
https://gcompris.net/download/qt/android/debug/GCompris-Android-debug-armeabi-v7a-dl-0.95-alpha.apk
Current linux standalone link:
https://gcompris.net/download/qt/linux/debug/gcompris-qt-0.95-alpha-Linux64.sh
(there is an issue with the sound not playing for piano activities, we are
looking for a solution, as it's linked to the package only)

I'm not sure we communicate enough on the future plans we have so let's try
to improve it.
* actually, regarding the Gtk+ version, we miss only a few activities and
the server.
** animation activity
** awele/oware activity
** drawing activity (current work in gsoc_asagtani_paint)
** electricity activity
** maze 3d activity
** chat activity
** braille lotto activity
** double entry activity
** place satellite activity

Among them, the most important ones to have are animation, drawing and
electricity activities.
The other ones can either be dropped or have a lower priority.

For the server, we started to put in place a few things (networkRishabh
branch) but it's slowly moving and possible to be changed.

We will first move to the multiple dataset (multiple_dataset branch) which
will allow to provide datasets with specific objectives for each activities
(for example, for multiplication tables, having a dataset to learn
multiplication of 2-3, another one for 4-5...). They will be integrated in
the application directly, but we will be able to re-use this data
structures to put the server in place and send custom datasets via the
network.

Also, using these new datasets and setting objectives we will be able to
generate a user manual from the source code directly and provide it to
schools (userManual branch). For now, it's a python script which generates
latex output (and thus pdf).

Timothée & Johnny