Completing Multiplication Activity

JAZEIX Johnny jazeix at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 19:27:39 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 10/10/17 16:11, Emmanuel Charruau wrote:
> Hi Amit,
>
> This is a really good news. I think this can be a very interesting
> activity, especially when it will be networked.
> First of all you will need to write a detailed description of how it
> will work, and do some mockups to show how you see it.
> I will sent you the description I am writing about the server, this
> can give you an idea of what I would like to read.
> You may think that the activity is already there and that writing a
> specification is not needed, but I would be glad if you do this part.
> We can then agree on what you will produce.
> I will follow you on this activity. This will be the first time I do
> some code review on a whole project, so be patient with me ;)
>
> Ok for the new activity name, menu at start, and configuration board.
>
> Good luck :)
>
> Emmanuel
>
> Le 10 oct. 2017 15:31, "Amit Sagtani" <asagtani06 at gmail.com
> <mailto:asagtani06 at gmail.com>> a écrit :
>

>     I’d like to complete the “Multiplication Activity” started in
>     https://github.com/gcompris/GCompris-qt/tree/sok_nitishc_multiplicationtables/
>     <https://github.com/gcompris/GCompris-qt/tree/sok_nitishc_multiplicationtables/>
>     branch.
>
>     Task link :- https://phabricator.kde.org/T5469
>     <https://phabricator.kde.org/T5469>
>
>     Reference :-
>     https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/gcompris-devel/attachments/20160709/d4fa5990/attachment-0001.pdf
>     <https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/gcompris-devel/attachments/20160709/d4fa5990/attachment-0001.pdf>
>
>     As this activity can be used to learn vocable list, chemical
>     abbreviations, multiplication tables, etc.
>
>     I'd like to start activity from scratch and use some of the part
>     from the current code. I’d also like to rename the activity to
>     “question_and_answers”(can be changed).
>
>     I have planned to implement a menu screen at start of activity as
>     in lang and categorization activity, with options →
>     multiplication, chemical abbreviations, etc. Player can select the
>     one of the category and questions will be asked on that category.

In which category do you put the activity? As it can be for every
categories?

>     A timer and score board will be implemented to measure the
>     performance.

The timer should be optional (and disabled by default).

>     A configuration option will be provided by which teachers/parents
>     can select which questions will be asked.
>
>     Sample → https://pasteboard.co/GOhNzs8.png
>     <https://pasteboard.co/GOhNzs8.png>
>     https://pasteboard.co/GOhNSJh.png <https://pasteboard.co/GOhNSJh.png>
>
>     I’ll be glad if anyone can send me more categories and material to
>     add in the activity. :)

For me this activity is more for school use than home use.
On my side, for the home use, I don't see the interest of having a quiz
with fixed questions (specially on specific themes that we would choose)
without giving any help for the child or any material to learn. I think
that for most of the themes/categories we could find, there would be a
better way to show it to children.

I would be more of having a main activity "questions_and_answers" but
not present in the menu and having a way to add datasets (for now
manually but later using the server) that would create the different
activities (the ones really displayed in the menu).

It needs to be thought (for the children/teachers use, the
maintainability of the code/datasets, easiness to add/remove/update...)
if it would be easier to use to have multiple activities (one for each
category) or one activity only with a menu (or a mix of both).
For a school use, I would say activities may be better if we can filter
the displayed activities to the children (so they don't have to first
open the main activity and choose the good category).

What do you think?

Johnny