Release GCompris 0.81

Timothée Giet animtim at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 10:39:53 UTC 2017

Le 30/09/2017 à 18:57, Bruno Friedmann a écrit :
> On samedi, 30 septembre 2017 15.38:18 h CEST JAZEIX Johnny wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> to complete the answer, the software renderer targets more old computers
>> with not updated Windows (or that don't have the drivers up-to-date).
>> For the latest openSUSE, I think there is no need of it, we can keep the
>> openGL version (we also don't use it for android for example).
>>
>> Johnny
>>
>> On 09/30/17 15:06, Timothée Giet wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> No, 5.6 is still the minimum version required officially. Just, only the
>>> "normal" version that requires OpenGL is available with it. The software
>>> renderer is only available since 5.8, the build flag has no effect
>>> before that.
>>>
>>> And yes, for now the option is only a flag at compile time
>>> (-DGRAPHICAL_RENDERER=software or opengl).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Timothée

> Thanks for the explanation, so I can commit, and will certainly also do a
> maintenance update for Leap 42.3
>
> The software rendering, is still interesting I guess in case of Terminal
> service for example, but as don't have a real need for it yet I can bypass
> completely.
>
> I've seen that Yast2 the management tool is able to switch from direct opengl
> to sw_render if no opengl is found (like for an ssh session)
> Perhaps there's an interest also for GCompris, so in one build we have
> something that degrade gracefully ? Hey I've don't check the code nor know
> what this imply too ;-)) just gratis ideas :-)

Of course, the final plan is to be able to have one version switching
automatically to software rendering if opengl is not working, but this
will need tons of testing (especially on windows, but not only) before
being done and stable enough to ship it. Biggest issues will come from
systems that do have opengl drivers but buggy ones, so opengl is
detected as supposed to work but actually doesn't properly... Until
then, the build flag and separate package is the simplest and safest
solution.

Timo.