A New Activity

Amit Sagtani asagtani06 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 09:38:13 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I’d like to create a new educational activity related to Forces and Motion.

*Scenario*: The child is provided with a massive box with a rope attached
on two opposite sides and two teams(Konqui and Tux) players of different
masses. Child can put players of a team on a side of box and others team
players on the other side, both team starts pulling the box towards
themselves and one with higher force wins the game. The child can
experiment with different forces and predict the motion of the box.

*Key Concepts:* Motion, Force, Net force, Sum of forces, Push, Pull, Mass

*Subject:* Physics

*Level: *High School, K-5, Middle School
Learning Goals

   -

   Identify when forces are balanced vs unbalanced.
   -

   Determine the sum of forces (net force) on an object with more than one
   force on it.
   -

   Predict the direction of motion given a combination of forces.

I’d be happy to receive feedbacks on the activity and new ideas to make
this activity more interesting.

Reference --
https://phet.colorado.edu/sims/html/forces-and-motion-basics/latest/forces-and-motion-basics_en.html

Regards,