GCompris-devel Digest, Vol 23, Issue 10

Divyam Madaan divyam3897 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 04:29:12 UTC 2016

> I can add an example how categorisation can be useful for teachers. I copy
> paste it from a conversation I had yesterday evening on irc.
>
> If you want to teach future to pupils, you put lots of present words in
> categorisation activity and a few future
>  words, and you ask to categorise.
> 1- Kids read them
> 2- analyse them
> 3- understand that there is a difference,
> 4- understand what it is
> 5- undestand that these verbs all describe something which did not yet
> happened
> 6- teachers can put a word on the concept and tell the kids that whenever
> they ecounter this tense we will call it future.

 Yes, I see this activity also really rich as I already have around 10
categories from Categorization of shapes and next we can include the
grammer terms that are generally taught to a children like nouns, verbs,
tenses, conjunctions, prepositions( function words
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_word ) and then we can also have
similar similar meaning words together. This basically involves some random
words belonging to a similar context. :)

> Same remark than Johnny, we already have a lots of mathematical games. If a
> teacher really wants to do this, he can use the word mode of categorisation
> to do it, recording 3*3 as an object to categorise if he wants. But we do
> not need a new activity for that.

Yes, the teacher can also use the shapes for doing so. We can skip it in
that case if its not required.

Thank you
Regards
Divyam Madaan