lang activity proposition

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Tue Oct 4 20:13:33 UTC 2016

Le 04/10/2016 19:57, Horia PELLE a écrit :
> I read about it, and my conclusion is that videos would complicate the
> whole thing, indeed.
> But I must confess that I was lured by Siddhesh’s idea to use audio
> examples instead of videos: if we have the right sentences and voice
> performances, they could sustain the emotional part of the speech
> pretty good! Would this alternative be easier to implement?
>
> Horia

Hi,

I also believe that video is overkill for this. We can achieve the same
goal with only an image a an audio voice as we do today.

I have a little gem for you. I started in 2012 a lang dataset in the
Gtk+ version of GCompris. It is almost ready except for the audio voices
to be recorded.

It is commented in the git version, from here:
https://github.com/gcompris/GCompris-gtk/blob/master/src/lang-activity/resources/lang/lang.xml.in
https://github.com/gcompris/GCompris-gtk/tree/master/src/lang-activity/resources/lang/intro

Also going furher on that, we could propose longer texts and have a
feature in which each word  is underlined while it is spoken. Not that
easy to achieve but would be a nice teaching tool.