lang activity proposition

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 15:31:39 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm not really sure it will be easier to handle (on the programming side).
The problem using external libraries is that we have to make sure they have
a good license and that they work on the maximum of platforms we use.
Also, it would mean that we need to ship the good codecs for each platform.

It seems we can play videos with Qt:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtmultimedia-multimedia-video-qmlvideo-example.html
(it can play web urls) but I don't see if we can change the audio stream.

> Hello everybody!
>
> I got a new idea how to approach it: since videos are usually container
> files that may contain multiple streams, if we had the video stream, the
> audio parts could be embedded into the container. This way, everybody would
> see the the same video, but hear the desired audio stream. Since YouTube
> has options for multiple audio streams, I guess there are other (free)
> video players that can do the same.
> There would be plenty of free videos to choose from, the only concern
> would be to have good audio recordings.
> If we’ll ever implement this idea, I volunteer to do the
> processing/editing/mixing/producing. If...
> If not, then the idea of audio-only examples looks like a good
> implementation, too! We could create simple sentences about the displayed
> images, combining as many words from the list as possible (i.e. “The girl
> has blond hair and a nice dress”). How about that?

Have a nice day and thank you for your feedback!
> Horia

Maybe we can wait to have the Windows version fully working to ask for
feedbacks (and switch completely/officially to the Qt version?). Anyway, if
you know people that would be interested by testing and providing
feedbacks, don't hesitate :).

Johnny