[GCompris-devel] Search feature

RISHABH GUPTA rishabh9511 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 06:50:34 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Holger Kaelberer <hk at elberer.de> wrote:

> [...]
>>>     >
>>>     > This is a very difficult choice to do. I would say that this
>>> feature is
>>>     > advanced and is of no use for many of our young users who can't
>>> write.
>>>     > It is most useful to parents or teachers trying to find the right
>>>     > activity. Thus I would not make this feature prominent.
>>>     >
>>>     > One proposal. We enter the search mode using ctrl-s on desktop and
>>> long
>>>     > click or double click on a section icon on mobile. In filter mode
>>> we
>>>     > replace the section bar by a search bar.
>>>

>>> So this means the search will be performed in that particular section
>>> .According to me  search
>>> should be performed on all the activities and not just on a particular
>>> section this is because a
>>> user might remember the name of the activity but not the section to
>>> which it belongs .
>>>
>> My idea is to replace the section bar with a search entry field. I agree
>> with you that this spans
>> all the sections.
>>
>> I like the idea you have suggested for mobile ,long click or double click
>>> would give a search bar
>>> ,but this should be for potrait mode
>>>
>> Not sure, it would be confusing to have an option that disapears in
>> portrait mode more or another.
>>

> Agreed, if we add an icon it should be in the same place for all
> orientation modes.
>

>>>     Incrementally we display the
>>>     > matching activity in the activity area. A close icon let the user
>>> get
>>>     > back to the normal section display.
>>>     >

>>>     Hi,
>>>
>>>     ctrl+S is already used to hide sections, if we go for it, we should
>>>     not forget to update the documentation.
>>>     On my side,
>>>
>>>     I would still put it somewhere visible.
>>>

>>> I second this.
>>>

> Me too.
>
> Users (also the adult ones) tend to not read documentation and imho a
> "search" feature is useful enough to keep it visible. If we opt for the
> section header it could still be put at the right/lower of the list.
>

>>>     Maybe we can put
>>>     it on the section bar, with a setting to display it or not (false by
>>>     default)?
>>>

> I don't like the bar option because imho it does not belong there.
> Activity selection is controlled via the section header and preselecting
> activities via a search feature is part of this task as is categorial
> grouping and personal favorites.
>

>>>     For the sections on top, it is a list, so it should resize
>>>     automatically if we add one more.
>>>

> +1
>
> Add a magnifier icon (or so) to the section list and present a TextInput
> (or so) onClicked, either replacing the section bar (in landscape) or,
> maybe more generic, overlaying it on top of the whole scene.

I am a bit confused ,above you said you don't like the bar option and  here
you are suggesting to put it in the section list . Sorry if  I
misunderstood something .

Section bar is the bar where we have section for all the activities ,like
maths  ,fun etc ,right ?

>>> I am skeptical about this whether it would look nice like there or not.
>>>

> Why?

Imho the section bar(the one i described above)  should stay  just for the
activities .In future you guys might add more sections .
So putting the  search icon at the end of the list would need
re-positioning every time a new section gets added .