[GCompris-devel] Search feature

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Tue Jan 12 09:08:13 UTC 2016

Le 12/01/2016 06:19, RISHABH GUPTA a écrit :

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 3:28 PM, Johnny Jazeix <jazeix at gmail.com
> <mailto:jazeix at gmail.com>> wrote:

>     <bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net <mailto:bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net>>:
>     >
>     >
>     > Le 11/01/2016 09:09, RISHABH GUPTA a écrit :
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> Hello ,
>     >>
>     >> I am done implementing the backend part .I have tried it and it's
>     >> working fine .The only thing left is to decide where to put the
>     search
>     >> icon  and connecting it to  Textfield.
>     >
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > This is a very difficult choice to do. I would say that this
>     feature is
>     > advanced and is of no use for many of our young users who can't
>     write.
>     > It is most useful to parents or teachers trying to find the right
>     > activity. Thus I would not make this feature prominent.
>     >
>     > One proposal. We enter the search mode using ctrl-s on desktop
>     and long
>     > click or double click on a section icon on mobile. In filter mode we
>     > replace the section bar by a search bar.
>

> So this means the search will be performed in that particular section
> .According to me  search should be performed on all the activities and
> not just on a particular section this is because a user might remember
> the name of the activity but not the section to which it belongs .
My idea is to replace the section bar with a search entry field. I agree
with you that this spans all the sections.

> I like the idea you have suggested for mobile ,long click or double
> click would give a search bar ,but this  should be for potrait mode
Not sure, it would be confusing to have an option that disapears in
portrait mode more or another.

>     Incrementally we display the
>     > matching activity in the activity area. A close icon let the
>     user get
>     > back to the normal section display.
>     >

>     Hi,
>
>     ctrl+S is already used to hide sections, if we go for it, we should
>     not forget to update the documentation.
>     On my side,
>

>     I would still put it somewhere visible.
>

> I second this.
>

>     Maybe we can put
>     it on the section bar, with a setting to display it or not (false by
>     default)?
>
>     For the sections on top, it is a list, so it should resize
>     automatically if we add one more.
>

> I am skeptical about this whether it would look nice  like there or not .
>
> So my proposal:
>
> On desktop and mobile in landscape mode,we can place the icon on the
> bottom next to configuration icon ,since there is enough space ,on
> clicking it would expand to a search bar .
>
>  For potrait mode  i like what bruno sir suggested .
>
> If anyone else has any other suggestion then please provide them,would
> be a great help . :)
Another idea, we improve the bar as to make the buttons shrink to suit
the window width so it is not a problem to put the option even in
portait mode.