[GCompris-devel] Regarding KDE Season of Code - Ideas for new activites in GCompris

JAZEIX Johnny jazeix at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 19:40:11 UTC 2015

Hi,

Welcome!

First of all, for the community, I added GCompris to the SoK list:
https://community.kde.org/SoK/Ideas/2015#Project:_Adding.2Fporting.2Fimproving_GCompris_activities.
If anyone have other ideas on what could be added or want to mentor,
feel free to tell :).

On 10/12/15 19:52, Akshat Tandon wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> I want to be participate in this years Season of KDE under GCompris.
> Below are few of my ideas for new activities in GCompris which I have presented in an informal manner.I request the GCompris community to please review the below mentioned ideas and provide me with relevant feedback.Also I request the community to provide me with a mentor under whose guidance I can work under if I get selected in this SOK program.
>
> * Puzzle/Arrangements - A Tangram puzzle can be implemented as an activity.A tangram puzzle has 7 geometric pieces (sqaures,triangles,parallelogram). These 7 pieces have to arranged in such a way so as to form a given/displayed pattern.However the catch is that all the 7 pieces have to be used,all the pieces must touch and none can overlap.You can view the following video in order to better understand it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVUy058_JNE
For information, this activity already existed in the Gtk version but is
still not ported to the Qt one. It is one of the activities we consider
important to have in the Qt version.

> * Map of India - User is presented with a map of India.There can be various levels for this activity.In the first level the user has to match the names of Indian States or their capital cities with their relative position.In some other level the user may be provided with prominent historical monuments like Taj Mahal,Qutab Minar,Gateway of India,Charminar etc and the user has to place these icons at their respective cities.Since India is a country of many different languages we can also have a level involving user matching languages to the area where they are spoken prominently.
>
> *  Hindi Alphabets/Vowels - Since there are already many existing activities which involve english alphabet I propose to port a few of them like Missing letters,Horizontal reading,Vertical reading so that they work with Hindi alphabets.
Maybe it can be done by localizing the activity datasets for India which
could be quite interesting :).
> * Series of Numbers - A ladder/rungs based activity can be implemented for teaching children various types of series of numbers.In each level a ladder is there which is composed of rungs.However many of the rungs are missing and hence the ladder is broken.The user has to help Tux in constructing the ladder by dragging and dropping rungs to their correct positions in the broken ladder.Each of the rungs represents a number.A user has to drag and drop these rungs which represent a number and arrange them on the ladder so that the the rungs on the ladder from some series of numbers.This series can be of natural numbers from 1-15,prime numbers < 50,multiples of 7 etc.When the arrangement of numbers is correct tux climbs the ladder and proceeds to the next level which will have a different series.

Maybe we can think of also letters, shapes (triangle, rectangle,
pentagon... for the number of sides).

> * Prime/Composite - User is provided with a virtual toy gun.Numbers will pop up  at various locations on the screen.User will have to shoot,using his cursor,only those numbers which are prime and not composite or vice/versa.

I don't think using a gun is a good idea for children. We don't want to
display anything in relation with violence. If we can change this, it
may be interesting.

> * Profit/Loss/Decision Making - Tux has a shop containing various items like pencils,apples,clocks,soaps etc.Each of the item has a cost price which the user will be able to see labeled besides the item.Various customers will come and will give the quotation for the item which they want to purchase.The user has to help tux sell the items only at those quotations at which he is able to make a profit i.e if the cost price of an apple is 5 units and a customer comes to purchase an apple and gives a quotation of 3 unit you will have to refuse that customer however if the quotation given is 7 units for the apple you must sell the apple to that cu

I'm dubitative about this game. I don't like the idea of refusing
something if someone don't pay enough and accepting to earn more than
the value of the object.
We should find a way to learn this without this.