[GCompris-devel] GCompris call for translation

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Wed Jan 21 23:58:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

As you have seen we released the first GCompris version 2 weeks ago. To
our pleasure it has been very well received by Android users.

It took the 1st place in the top new free education application in the
French store. It is true that GCompris is very popular in France amongst
parents and teachers. We got several reports from teachers telling us
that this is their application of choice in their classroom. Those using
iPads are now waiting after us and I announced an iPad version for
September.

It turns out that being able to deliver the same application on all
mobile and desktops platforms will be a major feature as teachers are
moving from school to school and will be sure by betting on GCompris
that it will be available whatever the equipment of their next school.

Beside France, we have significant numbers showing an interest in
GCompris in Switzerland, India, Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, Saudi
Arabia, Germany, United Kingdom, United States, Japan, Mexico,
Indonesia, Russia.

On the technical side, I have been personally very impressed by the low
number of issues raised considering this is our first release. Before
starting again on integrating new activities, we plan to ship a
maintenance release the February 2nd, after the Fosdem (BTW, I'll
present GCompris there).

This is a good opportunity to update or add support for new languages.

As we cannot still have a stable branch on KDE i18n until we are in
extragear, we string freeze our master branch and will create a devel
branch.