[GCompris-devel] Improved default Andika font

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Sun Jan 11 12:47:07 UTC 2015

The default GCompris font is Andika. It looks great (especially on a
high-resolution Android tablet), but the lowercase l can easily be
confused with an uppercase I.

In Andika, these two letters actually look very different, but still the
lowercase l looks like it *could be* an I (if you’re not very familiar
with the Andika I).

So could we switch to a version with a slightly curved tail on the l? It
also looks ‘friendlier’, IMHO.

This can very easily be done with the online TypeTuner service (option:
‘Small l-tail alternate’):
http://scripts.sil.org/ttw/fonts2go.cgi
There are also lots of other options for finetuning the font:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/render_download.php?format=file&media_id=Andika-features5.000.pdf&filename=Andika-features5.000.pdf

BTW, Andika was recently released in an updated version (October last year),
so the version in GCompris should preferably be updated anyhow.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer
http://huftis.org/
Jabber: karl at huftis.org