[gcompris-devel] Port to Qt Quick phase 2

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Sun Sep 21 23:04:27 UTC 2014

Hi all,

We now ported a large number of activities (83 by now) and we are
covering a large spectrum in domain and target age. I believe we have
enough content now to make an official release, hopefully by the end of
the year.

I will thus stop porting activities for a while and focus on building
this official release. Anyone is free to continue porting activities or
can help on the new set of tasks.

My priority is to make a version for Android and MacOSX. These are the
most important because today GCompris is not available there. On the
other desktop platforms, since GCompris GTK+ is available and more
complete, there is less urgency to provide the Qt Quick version.

To make this release I identified these tasks:

- Test and debug each activities, improve them when needed. To track
this task, I added a section on our wiki. You can register tasks there
or add the issue you think should be addressed:
   http://gcompris.net/wiki/Qt_Quick_Migration_status#Bug_Tracking

- Rework the bar. It should be moved on the top right. It happens that
being at the bottom it is too easy for children to touch it with the
palm of their hand.

- Add sound effects. I asked Djill, my brother in law, who is the
creator of the intro music. He is interested in the task, will see if we
can get something. If you are interested, on this task, tell me so that
I can put you in contact

- Review age level for each activities, maybe redefine what the number
of stars means more precisely (maybe find another notation).

- Provide better instructions on each activity. This is an area where
GCompris has always lacking. We have room for improvements there.

- Review all the english strings (in game and help). To help on this
task I extracted all of them on an online editor:
   http://lite4.framapad.org/p/GCompris_ActivityInfo.qml

- Connect GCompris with the KDE translation system and team

- Packaging

Thanks everybody out there who already contributed. It is quiet
ambitious to port GCompris to Qt Quick and I am pretty impressive by
what we accomplished in so little time.

It would misrepresent our work to ship a version with bugs and bad
documentation. Let's make this last effort before we show the world our
work.