[gcompris-devel] Font handling

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 10:13:11 UTC 2014

Hi,

Foràm, good for me to take Andika instead of Ruluko, so if no one has
something against it, I'll put Andika. Both have same license.

> Le 17/09/2014 13:15, Johnny Jazeix a écrit :
>> If the license allows it, I wanted to add a dyslexic font
>> (http://opendyslexic.org/) and a cursive one
>> (https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Ruluko) directly in GCompris
>> source so they will be available by default for everybody (I don't
>> know the easiness to add a font on mobile platforms) .
>>
>> They both seem libre, free and opensource but there might by something
>> between the lines I don't see...
> It is probably fine on the license side but instead of packaging them in
> our installer we may consider downloading them as an rcc like we do for
> voices. For what you saw, is this possible to load a font from an rcc
> (not installed in the system font directory).

Yes and no :). You need to specify in the source code the font names
you want to add. I didn't find how to get all the filenames inside a
rcc but if it is possible, we can add all the fonts in a rcc file
dynamically (just tell in the source code to read fonts.rcc and add
the font names to the list).

For now, I added them in the core directory so we load them from the
core.rcc file. Do you prefer another external rcc ?

Johnny