[gcompris-devel] About Art4Apps library

Bastien bzg at laptop.org
Mon Jan 13 11:53:00 UTC 2014

Isabelle Duston <isabelle at ilearn4fun.org> writes:

> I don't think google has any restriction. The speaker is a button on
> google translate.

It's not clear:
http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/22336/can-google-translates-audio-files-be-used-in-a-game

There is also Anna by Microsoft:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/can-we-use-microsoft-anna-text-to-speech-voice-in/1b2b134c-3810-44e1-b360-006fd145781c

(They say they allow the reuse for Youtube, but they do not say
if they would allow free-licensing on the audio files.)

In both cases, we should ask Google or Microsoft directly, and
ask precisely about using the files with free licenses, not just
distributing them.

(Yes, it's unlikely that people will want to modify audio files
and redistribute modified versions, but it's even more unlikely
that Sugar can accept a mixed-licensing scheme.)

--
 Bastien