[GCompris-devel] Major string update on GCompris

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Wed Dec 17 01:40:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

Me again with a string update. This time it's worse than before. I
should have noticed before but I missed to include the javascript files
in the Messages.sh. Thus many translations are missing. There are a
large set of color names that are quiet hard to translate but luckily
they are in the Gtk version for a long time so there are chances that we
already have them.

As this is a quiet big change, I propose to postpone the release to the
January 4th. Also, many translators will be in vacation and may have
more time during this period to work on GCompris.

Here is a step by step instructions to merge the KDE po file with the
existing translations from the Gtk+ version:

How to update the po file:

You can put the input files anywhere but the example assumes:
The current KDE po file is ~/kde/gcompris_fr.po
The Gtk+ po file is ~/gcompris-gtk/po/fr.po
lupdate and lconvert are the Qt5 ones

Example for the fr locale:
git clone git://anongit.kde.org/gcompris.git
cd gcompris/tools/convertPoToTsFiles
cp ~/kde/gcompris_fr.po gcompris_fr_input.po
lupdate gcompris_fr_input.po -ts gcompris_fr_input.ts
./updateLocale.sh fr ~/gcompris-gtk/po/fr.po
lconvert -i gcompris_fr.ts -o gcompris_fr.po

I am sorry for the inconvenient. The process is at the same time new and
more complex as we have to handle the legacy version. I hope it will be
smoother over time.