[gcompris-devel] Calling all translator/localizers

Fòram na Gàidhlig fios at foramnagaidhlig.net
Sun May 19 20:09:24 UTC 2013

> Le 18. 05. 13 15:39, Fòram na Gàidhlig a écrit :
>> What I am planning is to split the translation into several po files to
>> make things easier to find; and I'll probably implement some small
>> tweaks on the way. I especially want to split the general GUI strings
>> from the strings used in the games, and also to split off the
>> translation of the admin interface.
> Hi,
>
> Could you explain the rationale of doing this. Won't this create more
> work for the translators?
>
> Bruno.

If everything works as I think it should, we should be able to merge
translations into the new po files, so I don't really expect any data
loss. Better to be safe than sorry though.

In the long run, this will be good for localizers, especially for those
who will start a new translation. the filr has become quite big, and
with split files it is easier to find your way around, to choose what to
translate first etc.

I am currently tearing my hair out trying to find out how to generate
the po files un he appropriate subdirs. I have searched for any
documenation on this for hours now, but I can't really find anything
that makes sense. All the guides assume that you either have a teeny
tiny software or that you have been eating automake for breakfast for 10
years or so.

The programming part is pretty easy and already taken care of.