[gcompris-devel] Would like to extend the Chess MoveLearn sub-application for Sugar OLPC : how is architectured GCompris ?

laurent bernabe laurent.bernabe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 09:25:43 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I've just suscribed to this mailing list.

I plan to extend the Sugar OLPC port of GCompris Chess MoveLearn (and why
not the already existing os-agnostic one if I have the level and if you
agree ?) : http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4106

What I want to do is to implement a very basic way to learn pieces movement
: "Can this piece move to this cell ?", "Can this piece capture this one
?", with an highlight of the destination cell, and just the needed pieces
(kings may not be there). And also add a "Theory mode" : where one person
can learn just by reading and watching the little animations.
I think this feature can be added as a new mode to the Chess MoveLearn
application.

So I've looked at the source code, but in the SugarLabs Git repository, and
I have noticed that :

   -
   - the boards implementations are written in C language, under the
   src/boards folder
   - the xml definition of the board is defined in boards/
   chess_movelearn.xml.in
   - the pieces are in the boards/chess folder

I have a good OOP knowledge (Java, Python), but I also a quite good
knowledge in C language : what else must I know in order to get started ?
Is there a simple way to fork the project, so that if I manage to extend
the project I can suggest you my changes ?

Regards