[gcompris-devel] More music activity comments, based on git commit 672eb8eecd 12.09.2012

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Thu Sep 13 23:39:48 UTC 2012

Le mercredi 12 septembre 2012 à 22:31 +0200, Peter Albrecht a écrit :
> Hi!
>
> If I post too much or too fast, just tell me. Until I hear
> something else, I keep testing every now and then and report
> the things I notice. ;)

This is perfect for me. You may hit some problems I identified on my
todo list but its better to have some feedbacks than no feedbacks at
all.

> Level 2:
>
> Guessing an animal sound correctly, will display a bonus.
> But the bonus sound is only played ~200 milliseconds before
> the next animal sound is played.
> Looking at the code, in checkAnswer() there is:
> > gcompris.bonus.display(gcompris.bonus.WIN, gcompris.bonus.SMILEY)
> > self.playRandom()

Hum, I made a fix in this spirit but I have not tested with the bonus
sound.

> Have a look the hexagon-activity at the function pause().
> This one is called once when the bonus starts to be
> displayed and another time when the bonus disappears again.
> Evaluate the pause parameter to identify the state (bonus
> start or bonus end). And play the next animal sound after
> the bonus has disappeared.

I used this trick.

> In all three levels there is no final bonus, showing "level
> complete".

There is now a bonus on the last level. But it is the same as the
others.

> For expample in level, having visited the last animal and
> going back to the farm screen, the activity just switches to
> level 2. Maybe there should be a bonus being displayed. Just
> to help the user understand: "you have completed level one,
> lets go to level two".

There is one now.

> ** Play Piano
>
> The rubber showing only if notes have been played, works
> well. And the new note bonus is very nice. ;)

I reworked this one again even more. Now I removed the need to have an
OK button. I mark the notes as passed or failed in real time.

Sadly, Beth did the staff too small and scale it it thus the image
quality of my status mark are ugly.

> ** Play Rhythm
>
> Works also very well! :)
> One little bug: The rubber is being displayed after some
> rhythm has been entered. Clicking the rubber will delete the
> entered rhythm, but the rubber is still visible. It should
> disappear after been clicked (and the entered rhythm
> is erased).

I plan to rework it in the same spirit to remove the need for the ok
button and provide a better feedback of your mistakes. Are you too slow
or too fast, you need to know...

> ** Piano Composition
>
> Listen to "Frere Jacques", I can't hear a sound for the note
> "D'" (the top most one in this song). This note also is not
> on the keyboard on the left side. Maybe this is the problem.
> Same problem for "Baa, Baa, Blacksheep" or "Fuchs du hast
> die Gans gestohlen".

Beth, do you have an idea there?

> Listening to the music of the world makes much fun!

Yes, we all have to thanks Beth for that.

> ** Name that note
>
> When playing at level 2 (3, 5, 6 ... 12), clicking at the
> solutions in the middle plays that tone. So clicking
> different letters plays different tone. But if the question
> is for an "upper C" (the C at the upper end of the scale),
> every alternative note in the middle plays the same tone:
> the "upper C".
> This problem does not accur, if asked for a "C" or any other
> note.

Beth again, I don't understand the problem here.

> I also have some error output on console for this activity:

I fixed it and improved the look and feel.

> ** Final words
>
> After pointing to bugs (bad things), I also want to say some
> nice words to honor your effort, Beth, Bruno and everyone
> else, who helped:
>
> All in all the music activities are very mature! And I
> think, the are a very good addition to gcompris. Thank you all!

I think so. Still some work to make it perfect, we have never been tha
close.