[gcompris-devel] Language learning Activity

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Wed Jan 25 00:32:43 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have been working rather slowly on a new activity to let children
practise a foreign language.

There is already a basic code under src/lang-activity/ that you can run
from git:
cd src
./runit.sh lang-activity

Or for the latest GCompris 12.01 with:
gcompris --experimental

For now only the level 6 has some data, it teaches numbers from one to
10.

The concept is to create lessons. For each one, we associate a set of
what I call a triplet which are an image, a voice and a description.
With this, at runtime we let the children display all the triplets one
by one at his own speed. When all are seen, several exercises are
proposed to check he remembers properly the triplets.

For now there is a single one. A triplet is selected by the computer and
there are 4 choices. We will be able to have variations around this by
displaying the source language description, target language description
or the voice.

I worked on the dataset with my wife, you can see what it look likes
here:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gcompris/tree/src/lang-activity/resources/lang/lang.xml.in

As you can see there will be a lot of work to finish the activity, on
the code itself to polish it but harder on the dataset because we need a
voice and a representative image for each triplet.

How do you feel about it, do you think it's a good idea to have this in
GCompris, do you have ideas to help fill up the data set ?