[gcompris-devel] testers needed for new music activities in GCompris

Peter Albrecht pa-dev at gmx.de
Sat Aug 25 22:36:41 UTC 2012

Hello Beth,

I finally found time to install your gcompris activities.
Your acitivities are really great! It makes fun, to play
around with them.  ;)

A few ideas, that came to my mind, while playing with them:

** Explore Farm Animals / Explore World Music **

1) Maybe you should set the answers-click-items more apart
from the regular text. It is hard to identify them, when you
are a new user. Perhaps empty radio buttons? Or a light
yellow rectangle (with round corners) around earch answer?

2) When the user answers a question correctly, a smily
appears. Then, this smily disappears and the screens looks
identically to the screen, before the user clicked on an
answer. I would expect the clicked answer to be highligthed
"correct" (= green) or "false" (= red). (Perhaps the yellow
rectangle, mentioned above, would change its color.)
Or you use the medal from the main screen, to identify the
correct given answer. And a red "x" for wrong answers.

3) BUG: My linux is configured to German language. Visiting
the "cows", I get the question:
  "How many compartments does a cow's stomach have?"
and four answers in German language:
  "Fünf" (=5), "Vier" (=4), "Eins" (=1), "Zwei" (=2)
I guess, this activity is not translated completely to
German. That's no problem.
But I can't give the correct answer! According to wikipedia,
I would say "Vier" (=4) is correct. But whatever answer, I
click, I always see a sad smily. :(

Same problem with the "cats".

4) Your bonus smily has no sound. Sounds are fun! :)
You could borrow:
"/boards/sounds/bonus.wav".

** Piano Composition **

1) Safety question before erase:
Typing notes might take several minutes, but there are some
buttons, which erase them in 0.01 seconds. ;)
Perhaps erasing the notes should precede a question like
"Are you sure, you want to delete all your notes?".

2) Piano key marker:
While playing a melody, a yellow spark jumps from note to
note on the right side. So the user always knows, which note
is currently played. Maybe a similar symbol should be used
on the piano keys on the left side. So the user can look at
those and associate the sound she/he hears with the
corresponding piano key.

** Name that Note! **

1) The bonus does not have a sound. Maybe you could play a
row of about three short notes, which make up a happy or sad
melody.

** Play Piano! **

1) "Attempt" is not visible:
The melody, the user plays on the piano, is recorded and the
user can erase it, if she/he thinks, she/he was wrong. But
this is somewhat invisible. The user has to imagine: "There
is something recorded in the computers RAM"
It would be easier to understand, if you would show the
attempt, which was entered by the user, on the screen.
Perhaps you print the current row of entered piano key
letters next to the piano keys. E.g.: C C F G

2) GCompris: Repeat question:
The GCompris interface provides a way to the user, to
"repeat the current question". This is a button (two green
arrows bend to a circle) in the GCompris bar. You set it with:
 # gcompris.bar_set(gcompris.BAR_LEVEL|gcompris.BAR_REPEAT)

Maybe you want to add this, to provide a user interface
homogeneous to other activities.

** Play Rhythm! **

This realy is the most difficult activity of your six. This
is the only one, that made me read the manual. ;)

1) BUG?: No auto level increase:
After replay the two rythms of level one correctly (got a
green note ;)), the level is not increased to "two"
automatically. Instead, the first rythm is displayed again.
Is this intended? I would prefer the level to increment
automatically.

2) Quick appear of the scrolling vertical line:
Using the scrolling vertical line, as suggested in the
manual, is quite difficult. Since it abruptly appears at the
first note. In this moment, the user has to play the drum,
which requires very quick reaction. (Or am I too tired? ;)
It would be way easier, if one could see the scrolling
vertical bar, a little bit before it hits the first note.

3) BUG: "Play" button needs double click:
If the user wants to hear the rythm again, she/he sometimes
has to click on the play button twice.
The first click stops the scrolling vertical line from
starting a new "run over the notes". And the second click
starts the replay. Whatever time I wait between two clicks.
And after replaying the sound, the scrolling vertical line,
does not come again. :(

4) BUG: No drum-sound while metronome:
If I start the metronome, playing the drum does not make a
sound any more. Disabling the metronome again, brings back
drum-sound at click/"space".

5) GCompris: Repeat question:
See "Play Piano!" 2)

6) "Attempt" is not visible:
See "Play Piano!" 1)
My suggestion would be, to add little dots below the eraser.
One dot for every drum beat clicked by the user.

I hope, this amount and type of feedback is ok.
Having written all this, I realized, this is a veeeery long
email. Perhaps I should use the bug tracker next time?
Beth, what do you prefer?

Regards,
	Peter