[gcompris-devel] GSoC project

Matilda Bernard serah4291 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 04:15:45 UTC 2012

Hi

I'm Matilda Bernard and I've got selected for the GSoC program this year.
This will be my first GSoC so I'm really very excited to work on GCompris.
As part of the internship I would be working on four activities :

1) Land Safe: In this activity children would control a spaceship that
moves on the 2D screen. They would have to land it on the specified landing
area without crashing, by controlling the thrust using right/left/down/up
keys. After each safe landing the gravity will change (i.e. they will land
on another planet with a different gravitational force).

2) Place your Satellite: A rocket will be launched into space where the
escape velocity of the rocket will be mentioned. Sliding on to the next
screen kids will get to place their satellite in an orbit by controlling
the speed and distance from the planet. By doing this, they
can experimentally understand how the gravitational pull and satellite's
inertia of motion need to be balanced for it to stay in orbit.

3) Food Classification: There would be various levels for the various food
categories. At Each level a particular food group would be mentioned (e.g.
Fruits) and different food items would be present. Kids will have to make
GMuncher (a character) eat only the items belonging to that particular
category. The importance of these food categories would be mentioned at
each level and at the end of completion of the activity a food plate
showing the recommended portions would also be displayed encouraging a
balanced diet. I will be using the GNumcher activity to quite an extent for
this one.

4) Garbage Classification: The littered garbage will have to be classified
into first only organic and inorganic. In the next level the number of
categories would be increased - glass, plastic, metal, etc.

The link given below is just to get a little more visual idea of what I had
in mind.
link - http://www.slideshare.net/MatildaBernard/activitiesdoc

Looking forward to feedbacks so that I improve on these activities to make
them more relevant in a classroom.
--
Regards
Matilda Bernard