[gcompris-devel] network problems

jim marple jimmarple at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 3 21:25:16 UTC 2012

I am looking for some help in tracking down a problem with Gcompris and using database file on network share.

let me give overview of what am trying to do.

This is a kindergarten class in a large day care center. We have 5 netbooks and one laptop for the teacher, the database file is stored on a debian samba server for only this use it is not used for anything else.

The network share is mounted at boot using fstab everything seems to work fine. The kids netbooks are setup to boot straight into gcompris with the kindergarten profile using network share database. The teachers laptop is used for admin of Gcompris and to vnc into netbooks to observe the kids while they are playing the games they have access too.

The problem i am having is the database is getting corrupted somehow which then i have to copy over backup to get it working again. The last time this happened the report is on one of the kids netbooks the game crashed out and then as each kid completed the game they all crashed. Was no longer able to start them do to database being corrupted as well as could no longer get in with admin laptop.

Now the kids only have access to a few of the games i don't have list of the ones that are used right now but will post when i get chance.

Is anyone else using the database from a network share?  Are you having any problems using it?

my assumption is either one of the games is corrupting the database when it updates stats. Or the teacher is corrupting the database when she is changing the boards (cant confirm but i think she is closing admin by using the exit at top instead of the program exit)

Any ideas for help tracking down this problem would be greatly appreciated.
 Any info you need to help let me know and will post it or jump on irc

thanks

jim marple