[gcompris-devel] GSoC project

Cristina Precup cp.cristina.pre.cup at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 15:25:23 UTC 2011

Hello,

My name is Cristina Precup and I am interested in participating to the
development of the GCompris educational software.
I am currently studying at the Babeș-Bolyai, Cluj-Napoca University, in
Romania.
I should mention that I do not know Python programming language but I
was glad to find out that your software activities are also developed
using the C programming language, which is one of the programming
languages that I have studied for several years.
Particularly, the following projects got my attention:
- the Vocabulary trainer
- the Text understanding
- the Dictionary with word definitions
- the Symmetrical drawing
- the Interactive geometry
However, I have some questions to ask regarding these projects:
- regarding the Vocabulary trainer:
1. to clarify my image upon this project, will the user have the option
of setting the source and target languages for this separate activity?
- regarding the Dictionary with word definitions:
1. what are the prerequisites regarding the knowledge of XML files in
order to succeed the development of this dictionary?

As I have understood so far, GCompris is based on the canvas widget
GooCanvas for GTK+.
Can you please tell me what are the prerequisites that you think that
are needed for a student to be able to develop some of these projects. I
just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing and that nothing
slips me.

Thank you.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you