[gcompris-devel] Text for voices

F Wolff friedel at translate.org.za
Thu Feb 24 16:04:46 UTC 2011

Hallo everybody

We just started working on the voices for Afrikaans, and it is quite a
job!  We're excited about the idea to have the voices translated for the
next release.

We've been listening to the English, looking at the instructions used in
the game, and comparing with the text on this page:
http://gcompris.net/wiki/Voices_translation

I'm not sure what we should be doing, since there seems to be big
differences. There are also differences between existing languages, with
different directories present. Are incomplete voice sets possible?
Exactly how does that work?

For the recorded introductions, are the text on the wiki page meant to
be up to date? Some of them I find hard to understand, and I'm wondering
if I can just record the translation of the instructions given in the
game. I just encountered this one, for example:

> You are responsible for the lock, you must help Tux pass the lock.
> click on the small valves to cause a drop in or to increase the level
> of water.

What does "cause a drop in" mean?

Thank you for any help.

Friedel

... by the way... is the release still planned for Saturday? Just
checking if we maybe have extra time :-)

--
Recently on my blog:
http://translate.org.za/blogs/friedel/en/content/better-lies-about-gnome-localisation