[gcompris-devel] Hi there

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Sun Feb 6 22:50:35 UTC 2011

Le jeudi 03 février 2011 à 19:06 +0100, Jacques Bon a écrit :
> Hello everybody,
>
> Back again on the list after few monthes... or years... I'm teacher (3
> to 5 y.o. pupils), unfortunately not a developper.

Glad to see you again over there.

For those who don't know, Jacques wrote a little book in French giving
some tracks on how to use GCompris in a classroom :
http://gcompris.net/wiki/GCompris_en_classe

> First thanks to Bruno and the team for this fine piece of software,
> getting better and better with the years.

Thanks a lot, in the name of all the contributors.

> Just a few things for today :
>
> 1- The new button "VALID" to quit the GCompris info page causes trouble
> to young kids because it appears only on mouse-over. They often call
> this page by curiosity, and call me for help afterwards
> "teeeeeeeeaaaaaaacheeeeer....." The older, "hard" version, seemed better
> to me. How to quit the page should be an evidence even for young kids.

I don't get it. You are talking about the 'about' dialog ? If so I don't
see how it differs with what we had in the past. Also, you can teach
them to use the escape key which let you exit dialogs in GCompris.

> 2- I miss too, the old country flags in the language configuration. Kids
> always went there and clicked anywhere. Once the language is set to
> Arabian i.e., it becomes very difficult to come back to default. Now I
> launch GCompris always with the --disable-config flag. But I think most
> of end-user don't know the start flags, and it should be easy to come
> back to defaults in the config menu.

I fully agree. I am thinking about adding a 'default' button on the left
of the language selector. Would that work for you ?

> 2- Feature request : I would enjoy a simple dominoes game, like this
> one : http://www.zuzugames.com/play-7157-Dominoes.html
> It would be very nice, and maybe not too difficult to write (I don't
> speak for myself...) Easy levels could be with colors only, then
> images, medium level, images and dots, high level, only dots.

Good idea, I added it on our wiki so we don't forget. Is there someone
interested to implement it ?
http://gcompris.net/wiki/Ideas_for_activities